Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

So today was officially Will and Luke's third St. Patrick's Day... it was the first "holiday" that we celebrated while they were in the NICU, just 6 scary days after they were born. All I really remember about that first St. Patrick's Day was that we had a cool intern named Chris who dressed up for the day. Me, in my narcotic-induced post-cesarean stupor, thought that she must have been celebrating St. Patrick's Day week because surely 6 days hadn't passed since the boys were born!


Last year, we braved going out to a local Irish pub to celebrate the day. The pub had just opened, so there were meager offerings for food and beverage, but it was fun and the boys were well-behaved. They were little, and just barely a year old.


We didn't brave going out this year, mainly because its tough to keep the boys happy and occupied towards dinner time. So I opted for some cute St. Patrick's Day shirts instead.


We had a small party for the boys' second birthday this past weekend. Our guest list started off carefully and strategically planned but due to a number of last minute weather cancellations, our list of attendees was... hmm... a little odd. We powered through it though, and had a good time. Above is a picture of the cake that I made, which I am pretty proud of! Luke and Will had a good time for about the first hour (which is - realistically - all I was told to count on!). Sometime around the second hour, though, things started to change. Will randomly started puking and Luke just started acting all "terrible two"... thankfully the puking turned out to be nothing and after a short time away from the group, Luke returned to his happy self. Phew!

4 comments:

Matt Mescall said...

Cute cake! I think Aaron had some of those animals too. I am glad to hear the party went well.
We had green eggs and ham for dinner tonight. Very odd eating green eggs.

Karen said...

That cake is awesome...and those are awesome pics of the boys! I need you to go do some teachin' to the folks at Sears :).

JoannaP said...

That cake rocks! Sadly, I have all of those items, even the barn. And I would have never put it all together so cute. Sorry we missed out - chaotic weekend is to blame. And probably better off, Nicholas has strep so he would have done more sharing than you'd want.

Christie said...

I'm so totally impressed with your artistic-cake-making ability! I would never even dare to attempt anything like that, it would probably look more like a run-down abandoned farm - LOL