Sunday, August 2, 2009

Dear Great Grandpa Milt

Hi Great Grandpa--

I wanted to write you a letter to thank you for the awesome duck step stool that you made for me, but seeing that I am still working on drawing circles and lines, a letter was out of the question. Thanks to my mom for transcribing this blog entry for me! I am still working on my vocabulary, but I think you'll find that I have a remarkable understanding and usage of the English language for my age.

I absolutely love the step stool. It is amazing how much of the world I was missing out on prior to its arrival. Did you know that my parents were hiding things on the kitchen counter? Now I can reach them! Telephones, computers, dog treats, silver ware, glass ware... I have never seen my parents run so quickly as they did when I almost got my hand on the knife block! They learned quickly, though, and took the stool out of the kitchen. Here's a picture of me when I was first getting used to the stool.


After the kitchen debacle (good word for a two year old, huh?), my mom moved the duck step stool to the hallway so that I could reach the hall light switch. I love light switches! I guess I was annoying every one by turning on and off the light about 800 times an hour, so they moved the stool again. Here is a picture of me and my favorite light switch before they moved the stool.


For a couple of hours, I was unable to find the step stool. But then my dad emerged from my and Will's room with a surprise for us. He had converted our cribs into toddler beds! And there was my duck step stool! It was right beside my bed, so that I could have the freedom to crawl into and out of my new bed as I please. When will my parents learn?

Last night was my first time sleeping in my new bed. I used the step stool to get into my bed, then I grabbed my own pacifier and blanket, laid myself down and said "good night" to everyone. I am getting to be a big guy!

I guess my parents don't completely trust me, though, because they closed all the doors to the bathrooms in the house, and put child locks on them so I couldn't get in. I thought maybe they wouldn't remember to do this, and since I get up before everyone else, I thought I might be able to get a good couple of flushes in before someone woke up and stopped me. No such luck though. They even went so far as to put a gate across the top of the steps so I could not get downstairs and play an Elmo DVD. Bummer!

For now, the stool is going to stay next to my bed. Maybe when I get old enough to brush my teeth, my parents will move it to the bathroom. I think they know that if they put it in front of the sink now, I'd play with the faucets until I flooded the bathroom. Mommy said that no one wants that to happen, but who is she kidding? I sure do!!

I really appreciate all of the love that you put into the duck step stool. I couldn't ask for a better great grandpa! I can't wait to see you in October.

Your favorite brown-haired great grandson,
Luke

PS - Here are some pictures of me getting into my bed and putting myself to sleep.

No comments: