Friday, June 26, 2009

Trying desperately to make lemonade!

It seems we have received some lemons.

Back in February, Nate and I took a tour of the most recommended special needs day care program in our county. It was ok, and we put Will on the waiting list for September, when Oma goes back to Texas. We were told at that time that placing him would be no trouble, and after all, we were on the waiting list.

In the past month, Will and I took a tour of another center, just to test the day care waters. The center we toured told us that they couldn't be sure they had a spot for him, but things looked promising and they didn't see his needs as being a show stopper. They asked for a month to work things out. That month ended yesterday.

True to my typical form, I called them on the planned day. In the nicest way possible, the contact person told me that after convening, they had determined that they could not handle Will's needs. Bummer, I thought to myself, I liked this center better, but its ok. We're still good to go with the first center from back in February.

So I called to make sure. Good thing, too. All of a sudden, they are full with no potential openings in September. The waiting list doesn't matter. But "they'd call me tomorrow if anything opened up." Super (sarcastic)! I can totally sit back here and wait with no placement for my son, while you figure out if you can honor your commitments. No thanks.

I enlisted the help of our service coordinator and found out that there are two other special needs pre-schools in the county. I called the first, explained our situation. They almost laughed at me, and told me that they had a 40 kid waiting list.

We have one last hope, and have a visit with Will next week. They have to first determine if they can appropriately meet Will's needs. If they can, it appears as though we have a good placement. If they can't, we don't have any day care options for him.

We really want to put the boys in a day care program in September. They'll be 2 and a half then, having been nurtured and cared for in the home by two lovely women since birth. Its time to be socialized with other kids, start structured learning, etc. Our plan is to put the boys in two separate centers, since it really seems as though Will is more outgoing and talkative when Luke isn't around. Luke should be fine anywhere, and there are a lot more options for placement for him.

I guess if worse comes to worse, we can find someone to come into the home and care for the boys (or just Will) when Oma leaves. Will will be accepted into the county's special needs pre-school at the age of 3, in March 2010, anyway and would go to the local elementary school for full day pre-school. But I was hoping to give him a little time to get used to a different environment, by warming him up in a day care environment. Wish us luck next week... and if anyone has any other ideas for us, please send them to me at manda2mama@gmail.com!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Additional resource for info regarding daycares (specialized or integrating) in Wake.
Child Care Services Association: http://www.childcareservices.org/fs/family_services.html

Good luck,
Ilana

CraftyJudyS said...

Hi Amanda - I don't know if you remember me or not - I'm a friend of your Mom's from Camp Parks in CA. Anyway I wanted to say Hi & share this link with you ... http://www.naccrra.org/ They do wonderful things for our military - I hope they can help you too. The boys are getting so big! It's been quite a while since I saw pics of them - too cute!
All the best to you & the family!
Judy Shannon