Tuesday, November 30, 2010

No Turkey


A couple of days before Thanksgiving, I was lucky enough to be able to join Will's class for a Family School Partnership Day at a nearby bowling alley. Now the idea of taking young kids to the bowling alley might seem daunting to you, but not to these teachers! They are bound and determined to expose their students to as many ins and outs of life as possible, and just because you're in a wheelchair or have a disability doesn't mean you have to sit on the sidelines.

So Will and I joined the 4 other students from his class, 5 of their parents, 1 teacher and 2 teachers aides for a couple of frames of bowling. Anyone who has ever played me in Tock knows that I get a little competitive, so I was looking forward to helping Will beat the pants off of his classmates. Unfortunately, Will appears to have gotten the gene for horrible bowler from me. Too bad he doesn't take after Nate... they could have gotten matching bowling team jackets.


It took Will a little while to get used to the noise of the bowling alley. He enjoyed pushing the ball down the metal guide to send the ball careening down the lane. But when it wasn't our turn, Will let me know that he wasn't in the mood to be patient! If he could speak, he would have loudly encouraged everyone to pay attention and hurry up and go when it's your turn already! Even with the gutter rails and a metal guide for the bowling ball, Will and I managed to only bowl a 74. Definitely room for improvement. We might have to practice a bit on the Wii with Nate before we go bowling next time... I can't imagine his excitement when he bowls his first turkey.

No comments: