Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The gross things we do for our kids

I can't believe I am actually sharing this...

Raising children is inherently messy and gross. Giving birth - no additional explanation necessary. Changing diapers, acid reflux, first feedings - all gross.

I thought we were past all of this with Luke. But in recent months, he has raised the grossness ante. I have three gross stories to share. Pity me. And only me. None of this stuff seems to happen to Nate.

1. Like all kids, kisses make Luke's boo boos feel better. I don't mind kissing knees, elbows, fingers, heads, etc. Unfortunately for me, Luke recently bit his tongue. He stood there, crying, pointing to his tongue. "Kith it Mommy." Oh buddy, please don't make me do that.

2. When Luke wakes up in the morning, he has to pee like a race horse. He also does not like getting his hands dirty or wet. The other morning, he was standing near me, using the potty first thing in the morning. He let out a wimper. I went to see what was wrong. I crouched down to his level in front of the potty. He immediately put his hand on my lips. "Look Mommy, pee."

3. See bullet 1 above for kissing boo boos. Luke has fallen a couple of times over the past week, and has a skinned knee and a skinned elbow. On Sunday night after baths, he pointed out that his elbow still hurt and that he needed me to kiss it. No problem right? First, remember what scabs look like after a bath. Then imagine kissing that.

When you finish laughing, feel pity for me. I'm still brushing my teeth.

No comments: