Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Down for the count

On Saturday night, Matt woke up in the middle of the night in the middle of a whole lot of sickness. I whisked him out of bed, stripped him down, and changed his clothes while Nate sleepily changed his sheets. We were all back to sleep quickly, but since then, Matt hasn't had much of an appetite.

I didn't think much of it until yesterday afternoon, I started to get the icks. You know, that feeling in your stomach when you know something isn't right and you're about to have a very long 24 hours ahead of you.

Thankfully it appears as though everyone else in the fam has been spared.

I'm still in bed, in the same pajamas I put on yesterday afternoon. Yep, its gross. I've been holed up in our room for the last 24 hours, a self-imposed quarantine in hopes of sparing the remaining 3 Slaviks this lovely illness that my youngest so kindly shared with me. No shower, no food, no contact (with the exception of Nate sneaking in to make sure I haven't died).

I heard the commotion of last night's dinner, goodnights and kisses, cries in the middle of the night, and the fun of getting 3 boys ready in the morning. All from behind my closed door. It was when I heard Will's bus pull up this morning that I managed to pull myself to the window and sneak a peak through the blinds. Will's smiling face on the lift, ready to start his day. Nate holding Luke back from showing the driver how to operate the lift. Matt's little excited hand waving goodbye to the bus as it drove down the street.

Oh, the heartache of missing an entire day of their lives. As much as life can be hectic and loud, and as much as we say all we want is a break... being stuck on the outside looking in makes you realize how being on the inside is the best place to be.

No comments: