Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Planting an Easter tree

I've grew up with Easter trees.  I remember my Great-grandma Gert (who immigrated from Germany to the United States in the 1920s) always having a small Easter tree in her apartment.  My Grandma Mary and Mom always decorated outdoor trees with plastic Easter eggs on strings.  It never occurred to me that people outside of German and Eastern European heritage didn't decorate Easter trees!

This past Sunday, we introduced all the boys (including Nate) to the concept of decorating an Easter tree.  I don't know the history of Easter trees or why people do it... but it is a nice way to perk up an otherwise sad pre-Spring blossomed outdoor tree with bright colors and fun shapes.

It was an unseasonably warm day, slightly overcast... and we combined the Easter preparation with a birthday dinner for Oma.  Good family time!  I think the boys will look forward to doing it again (certainly more than decorating our Christmas tree)... that is if Matthew didn't break all of Oma's plastic eggs.  He cracked a couple in his hands, so excited to be hanging them from the tree that he squeezed them with all his might.  Once they were hung, he proceeded to pull on them and laugh when they fell off the tree.  Terrible twos approaching...






No comments: